Thursday, October 26, 2006

Planned projects (all Arendt-related)


- Something on Arendt's critique of the consumer society/waste society. I'm fascinated that Arendt was so prophetic about this. And again, I find it interesting how Arendt directs a common criticism against two seemingly opposite ideologies: in Origins of Totalitarianism, she had done it with fascism and communism; in The Human Condition she did it with capitalism and communism.

- Storytelling, still. A continuation of what I've already written. This time I may include a comment on her biography-writing.

- The parvenu/pariah distinction.

- Political judgment. I've been planning this for a few years, but I just can't get around to re-reading Kant. Aargh.


*And aside from all this writing, maybe I should suggest to my colleagues that we teach an undergraduate elective on conceptions of power. We could do Foucault, Arendt, Nietzsche ....

No comments: